Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Samara

Samara redesign - Mass Effect 2
I got the Mass Effect art book recently and was disappointed by the focus on the female character's sexuality in the little blurbs about the though processes behind the designs. Even in game I noticed a major shift in direction between ME1 and ME2; though ME2 had far better characterization I felt that some designs were disconnected from the character they were portraying. Samara, who's one of my favourite characters, was one of the worst in this respect. The emphasis in art book was definitely on her sex appeal and it shows.
Samara is sexy, yeah, but she's also an ascetic warrior who's almost a 1000 year old. I wanted to redesign her in a way that worked more with her character, especially her age. In game she looks younger than someone 1/10 her age just based on clothing. Gave her a simple bodysuit/light armour and a shawl for everyday wear. Shawls, to me, are the ultimate in high-class older women's wear (and Samara is the ultimate in high-class older ladies).

No comments:

Post a Comment