Saturday, July 02, 2011

Sketch backlog

EDIT: Removed some images as they were getting a lot of hits off Goggle. I feel that they were probably being misattributed and am not comfortable with them being up here anymore.

A few sketches from my current sketchbook (chronologically). For no apparent reason two sketches, the colour swatch sketch of Rothbart and a personal favourite sketch, refuse to load. Ah well, another post.

Rothbart -  Swan Lake
Inspiration: Black Swan, masks
February 2011
Sketch done on a plane ride home from Houston after watching Black Swan. Swan Lake was the first ballet I ever saw, so it has a special place in my heart. I greatly enjoyed Black Swan - I'm actually working on a paper this summer on the costumes in it. I find Rothbart's character is the one with the most room for interpretation. Odette and Odile always have the same rough tutu design, but different facets of Rothbart's character are explored in each rendition of Swan Lake. My design follows a more Byronic style with a hint of horror - better seen in the colour swatch drawing. Full illustration will be done eventually.

Inspiration: "The Powers That Be" from Angel, Yinyang
May or June 2011
I began watching Angel a few months back. The costumes are sooo dated. Never been a big fan of 90's clothing. The designs for The Powers That Be in an early episode of season 1 are... cliche to say the least. After seeing it I thought about the concept of "Powers That Be" or "fate" or "seers" and came up with this.


Inspirations: sci-fi and steampunk
June 2011
Came into my head one night. I see her as some sort of action girl sans the stupid black leather cat suit and high heels. Her hair ties around her head in a loose loop.

Inspirations: A book on tatting on my nightstand, Chinese hair styles 
July 2011
Not much to say. Another one that just popped into my head. The left doodle is a sketch of the tatted lace that would be at the hems of her skirt and sleeves.

No comments:

Post a Comment