Monday, March 04, 2013

Haydee

Haydee - The Count of Monte Cristo ch.49
The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favourite novels and though Pere Dumas’ writing is so detailed Haydee was the only one who always stood out with an obvious look to her. I think this is in part due to her very contradictory personas. In public she acts the part of a childish, dumb coquette but in private she shares her pain and desires with the Count; that kind of great characterization always stands out to me. I wanted to create something representitive of her outwards persona, the beautiful coquette, and her inner turmoil while following her description from the beginning of Ch.49
I have very mixed feelings about this one. I saw the best art student owl the other day that I think explains my feelings pretty well: you know it's done when you hate it. If you don't hate it yet it's not done. There's a lot I like and a lot I feel like I failed at - mostly the composition and reclining figure.

1 comment:

  1. Just reading The Count of Monte Christo - I think your imagery is spot on.

    ReplyDelete